One of the keys to your survival in the event of earth changes could be pure water for drinking, preparing food, washing dishes and brushing teeth.
The easiest way to purify water is by keeping it at a rolling boil for 10 minutes to kill any disease-causing bacteria. To improve the taste, try adding a pinch of salt to each quart and/or pouring one purified bucket to an empty clean bucked and back again several times.
- Or, two chemicals usually found in the home will be effective.
- Chlorine bleach (Clorox, Purex, ect...) is an excellent disinfectant for water. Check the label for the percentage of sodium hypocholrite (chlorine) present. Do not buy with additives, perfumes, etc. Then follow this chart:
Mix thoroughly and let stand for 30 minutes. The water should have a slight chlorine ordor. If not, repeat the dose and let the water stand 15 minutes more.
- 1 % 40 drops per gallon.
- 4 to 6 % 8 drops per gallon.
- 7 to 10 % 4 drops per gallon.
- Iodine from your medicine cabinet or first aid kit will also purify water. It will usually be found at the strength of 2 % United States Pharmacopoeia (U.S.P).
Let Stand in a sealed container for 30 minutes before drinking.
- For clear water, add 20 drops per gallon.
- For cloudy water, add 40 drops per gallon.
- Another alternative is water purification tablets, available at drug stores or the camping supply areas of other stores. Follow the manufacturer's directions.... Note: They do lose potency after a while. Check dates and/or if discolored, or crumbly, discard and buy new.
- Or, you might want to invest in one of several household water purification systems. This usually includes a filter for suspended particles, an activated carbon filter to absorb organic molecules from contaminants such as herbicides, and iodine treatment for bacteria. See http://www.chemicalbiological.net/water.htm for in depth discussion.